Free Online Movie Sites     Movie Search     Forum Search     Register

HavenVideo contains User Generated Content and we Respect Copyright Holders
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shock! Google announces privacy changes, users cant opt out!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:00 pm 
Mod

geezer wrote:
Makes one wonder just how many users of "all things google" are going to bail (or threaten to bail) over this.

Also wonder how this will affect other search engines, etc., who get results from google (dogpile comes to mind).

Food for thought and, right now at least, it tastes pretty sh*tty!

:smokez:

I use googleeverything, I've even played with chromium vanilla and lime(operating systems) and was considering making them a permanent fixture for a laptop of two. Not now. Count me as one of the sane who will jump ship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 pm 
VIP Elite

ronbo191 wrote:
And Google can bite my butt.

This just might make them reconsider their privacy stance. :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
VIP Elite

hmmm i am an avid google user ( nicely organised) . Somehow this doesn't really bother me.
I am convinced that every internet company does this at some level. As a hacker friend once told me : "niks is privé onine" ., Meaning nothings private online.
Most of whats being scanned is done by computers.

As with facebook. when you have facebook its a privacy nightmare, until you edit the settings and don´t use any of the apps.
In these modern times what we perceive as private is constantly changing, ever evolving.

In short, try to keep what you want private offline. There is paranoia about hackers n such, but for the most they don´t bother with the average joe.
Those adds that you get in every damn website,e-mail and app , i don't know if its because i grew up with the Internet , but i mentally tune them out.
i know instinctively not to click any sort of add in any website and i think most people that grew up with the Internet does this

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 pm 
Mod

Marcsama7 wrote:
hmmm i am an avid google user ( nicely organised) . Somehow this doesn't really bother me.
I am convinced that every internet company does this at some level. As a hacker friend once told me : "niks is privé onine" ., Meaning nothings private online.
Most of whats being scanned is done by computers.

This is true, it's just the inherent nature of computers to store data. But the difference I'm seeing is the passive nature of computers to store data, and the active writing of code to store all of your information by google. It makes a huge difference in hunting down information on a user; in essence, it's having a database ready to hand over for prosecution of any user(under a SOPA-like law that broadly defines what is "illegal" and what measures can be taken). Some may think it's paranoia. I think it's staying safe from the common corporate overreacting that's taking place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm 
VIP Elite

yup,

but i meant paranoia from Hackers.
The thing larger companied are doing is real

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:15 pm 

Location: From UK but now in sunny sarigerme, Turkey... Now back in UK, see my profile for updates...
I'm quitting google too... what they did to youtube is the last straw... no one can see my profile or friends or anything I spent a lot of time on... they just buried everything under their new buggy format... and I never liked after signing into youtube that you are signed into google search etc. and you have to link all google related accounts... Hmm... we really need two more students to start another youtube again independant of Google...

Oh... and Firefox is better than Chrome any day :rofl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm 
Mod

Glitzy wrote:
and I never liked after signing into youtube that you are signed into google search etc. and you have to link all google related accounts

Omygodyes this. Under chrome, I use the incognito window for searching, because google filters my preferences when I'm signed in. I may be one of the few, but when they try to personalize their search for me, it NEVER gives me what I'm searching for. The default search is sooooo much better.

Marcsama7 wrote:
yup,

but i meant paranoia from Hackers.
The thing larger companied are doing is real

Ah oops. :D yeah, unless you go poking the hornets nest , hacking normal user data isn't as big a problem as it's portrayed, def. agree there.

Profile E-mail